Exclusive Deals from Our Sponsors:
AWESOME CX by Transcom provides high-touch, personalized customer experience services to consumer brands of any size! Email Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about their award-winning services and Awesome Coffee Chats.
In This Episode You’ll Hear About:
• [01:59] Jesslyn’s upbringing in Atlanta, Georgia, the love and support she received, her rich imagination as a child, and how her sisters influenced her leadership qualities.
• [17:28] Attending a prestigious private school, the pressure she faced to attend an Ivy League university, and how she struggled with balancing work and fun at college.
• [25:45] The founding of their family business, the inspiration behind it, and how her father and her sister worked on developing BIOLYTE® in secret for four years.
• [32:05] The key differentiators between BIOLYTE® and other hydration drinks: why it’s the only true medical grade hydration supplement.
• [34:10] Why her father is uniquely suited to have created the first IV in a bottle and the many considerations that went into developing it.
• [36:55] The challenge of navigating family dynamics and hierarchies in business, how she became CEO, and how each year as CEO has demanded something different from her.
• [46:13] Jesslyn’s approach to managing hierarchies and how seeking out training has helped her as a leader.
• [48:48] Untangling leadership, aligning your vision for the company, and getting to the heart of BIOLYTE®'s core message.
• [57:46] Personality tools, recruiting, and the importance of hiring people who have a robust character and are a good fit for the company.
• [01:02:11] Some of the biggest challenges Jesslyn has faced as a CEO, the key lesson she learned from their first lawsuit, and what’s next for BIOLYTE®.
To Find Out More:
“I definitely think that having two older sisters that were very strong women helped me become a leader.” [0:10:12]
“My mom and my dad — instilled a lot of confidence in me and my sisters.” [0:11:37]
“There's a way to lead that is true leadership. And there is a way to lead that is pure dictatorship.” [0:16:41]
“The pressure was to go to an Ivy League, and be very smart, and be a leader of whatever you were doing.” [0:18:26]
“My mom was my idol for social. My dad was my idol for work.” [0:20:01]
“[My dad and my sister] had been working on it for four years in secret and told nobody about it.” [0:27:50]
“The thought of working with my family, the thought of working in this company, and having this product that never existed, was so freaking cool to me.” [0:28:26]
“BIOLYTE® is the only true medical grade hydration supplement.” [0:32:06]
“The ingredients in BIOLYTE® help your liver detoxify itself.” [0:33:56]
“My dad is uniquely suited to have created the very first IV in a bottle, because that's all he did for 43 years.” [0:34:11]
“I'm a huge believer of ‘to whom much is given, much is expected’.” [0:44:09]
“BIOLYTE® was started for a medical reason, and we're here to help hydrate people with serious hydration issues.” [0:49:18]
“There was no alignment. And now I have two VPs. I've got a new Vice President of Sales, and a new Vice President of Finance and Operations that are so aligned with my vision.” [0:52:03]
“Lean into your strengths and then hire for your weaknesses.” [01:04:38]