Exclusive Deals from Our Sponsors:
AWESOME CX by Transcom provides high touch, personalized customer experience services to consumer brands of any size! Email Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about their award-winning services and Awesome Coffee Chats.
In This Episode You’ll Hear About:
• [03:12] Jeanine's childhood years in Sweden, the activities she enjoyed, and how she taught herself to read.
• [08:01] Living in San Francisco, London, and Paris, and the difficulties of her teen years.
• [13:20] A humble entry into the make-up industry before getting work as an artist.
• [19:55] Jeanine reflects on her independent spirit and distrust of authority.
• [23:46] Building Stila and discovering her new personality and capabilities.
• [29:54] Jeanine's thoughts on the challenges of having a company acquired, following Estée Lauder's acquisition of Stila.
• [36:13] The decision to start Neen; the ideas and motivations that drove Jeanine to begin a new adventure.
• [43:55] Sustainability at Neen and the way that Jeanine has approached packaging.
• [51:43] The funding process at Neen so far and the meaning behind the brand's name.
• [56:19] Jeanine's suggestions for the questions entrepreneurs should ask themselves.
To Find Out More:
“[As kids], we just made stuff all the time!” [0:07:18]
“I kind of woke up to find a whole other person living inside me that I didn't know.” [0:24:13]
“I just need to be smarter than the problem in front of me.” [0:25:22]
“That's a big driver for me, like how do I make things different?” [0:25:32]
“Acquisition is tough. I don't think I know anyone who is super happy after an acquisition, unfortunately.” [0:34:17]
“When you make a business – [and] it comes from your personal values, people feel that.” [0:40:28]
“I wanted to make a sustainable, refillable package.” [0:45:54]
“I'm not on the soapbox about it, I just don't want to make more trash, period.” [0:47:01]
“I always say, makeup is a mood-altering chemical. 100%. It can totally change the way that you feel and that's what I like about it.” [0:53:47]
“You don't have to change yourself to feel that way about yourself. You have to learn to feel that way about yourself, period. And then makeup is just the icing.” [0:55:25]
“Don't ever let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be an entrepreneur.” [0:57:31]